Introducing... Lucy Rose

Tuesday 25 September 2012 0 comments

Firstly, let me introduce you to an exceptional English singer/songwriter from Warwickshire who goes by the name of Lucy Rose. Having previously lent her vocal talents to Bombay Bicycle Club hits and toured with the likes of Noah and The Whale, it’s safe to say, Lucy Rose has definitely found her forte.

Hot off the press, Lucy released her debut album, 'Like I Used To' yesterday, Monday 24th September.

With Vogue magazine stating she is “one of indie music’s breakout stars of 2012”, I was eager to make time to see her live show. Having seen Lucy captivate Green Man Festival a few weeks ago, it was time for Bestival.

Donning a rather physcadelic tee and shirt combo, Lucy and the band graced the 'Pyscadelic Worm', with Lucy’s trademark enchanting vocals, enthralling the packed out venue.  
As if that wasn't enough, I was extremely lucky to be at Rough Trade East last night for Lucy's debut album launch. It was bloomin' rammed and what a sublime Monday evening it was.

So, having caught up with Lucy, there's not much left for me to say but what a wonderful young lady she is and I do hope you enjoy.



DaisyDigital: Congratulations on the release of your debut album, 'Like I Used To', how did it feel to be playing your new release to a packed out Rough Trade?

Lucy Rose: Last night was really special, I couldn't believe how quiet the crowd was, which made playing some of the softer songs really great after a raucous festival season. I'm glad people came to celebrate with me. 



Talking of releases, your new single 'Bikes' is quite something, in terms of the blend between the song itself and the videography, how was it to film? It looked like great fun!

LR: It was SO much fun to film. Mega stressful for most of it but insanely brilliant and the cast were so friendly. All the bikers taught us how to ride a bike in 15 minutes. Getting to take out the burliest man in the world felt like quite an achievement.



Now, I believe you've become quite rock 'n' roll, what with hurling knives in dressing room walls and chair slamming old men, any comments?

LR: Obviously I'm very rock n' roll! But I think most people can see past all that and know that I'm quite the opposite.



Both musically and lyrically, who/what do you cite as your main influences?

LR: It's hard to know what my main influences are because most songs I've written were influenced by different things. The album as a whole probably Neil Young. I knew I wanted to make something lo-fi and not glossy.



How did the festival season treat you? Now it's all over, you're embarking on a tour...

LR: Festival season was a dream! So much fun every weekend and totally different to touring with no sound check and everything is so rushed. The crowds were unbelievable but I'm really looking forward to being back on the road for more touring. 



Talking of gigs, any pre show rituals?

LR: I've become pretty addicted to steaming recently. So lots of steaming and hot drinks. I drink this amazing weird chinese throat medicine called Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa. Sure!



So, where can I get my 'Builder Grey'? I guess it's safe to say you're a fan of tea? Is it true you even have a tattoo? Also, for those not lucky enough to have been at the album launch, explain the present your band gave you...

LR: Tea is one of the most important things in the world, someone making you a cup of tea can really cheer you up. I'll be selling my own tea at all the gigs and yes I do have a little tea-cup tattoo.
My band bought me an album release present which was a giant tea cup with a saucer, it's ridiculous!




Lastly, time for some quick fire true or false questions...

- You LOVE milk?
TRUE

- You're part of the Hells Angels?
FALSE

- Enjoy headbanging?
kind of TRUE

- You've stage dived?
TRUE

- You’re not a Tango fan?
TRUE


Many Thanks Lucy. 
Now, to leave you with the wonderful, 'Bikes'.

Once more, Lucy's debut album is available to purchase now, so what are you waiting for!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Daisy Digital | TNB