Introducing... Amy Holford

Friday 15 February 2013 0 comments

This weeks introducing comes in the fine form of Newcastle songstress, Amy Holford.
If she’s a name you’re not familiar with already, it’s sure to be one you’ll be hearing a lot of this year.

Having supported the likes of Newton Faulkner, Willy Mason, Lucy Rose & Jake Bugg (to name just a few), Amy Holford is certainly an exciting emerging talent not to be missed.

Enthralling audiences with her powerful, emotive and simplistic vocals, Holford is a young lady with a bright future. Amy has appeared on Amazing Radio, with them heralding her as ‘one of the best voices that we’ve ever heard in the studio’ as well as gaining support from the likes of BBC Introducing, Communion and Radio 1s Jameela Jamil.

Earlier this week I caught up with Amy, so what are we waiting for, without further ado, enjoy.



Daisy Digital: Hailed one of the 'best live vocalists in the North East', what was it like breaking into the industry from your hometown?

Amy Holford: Getting in the local music scene was just a matter of writing; when I wrote 'I Have Seen' I'd found a new part of my sound I hadn't explored yet, and it seemed to go down well. I had a lot of support from people like Joe Frankland at Generator, as well as Emma Howe (Natasha Haws manager) who got me a couple of gigs, and it went from there. I suppose it's been a bit like a chain; my name is being mentioned and talked about, and it's been slow, steady build up of attention. Considering I haven't released anything yet, it's been pretty great.


DD: So tell us, what made you go from a grafting busker and English Literature student, to supporting the likes of Newton Faulkner, Willy Mason and Lucy Rose (to name just a few).

AH: When I was at Uni I was constantly asking myself what the point of it all was, doing something my heart wasn't fully a part of. When I dropped out (after a long suffering term...) I got a part time job and started doing buskers nights, but it wasn't til months later that I started writing decent stuff, and I started picking up my guitar willingly as opposed to reluctantly. I think a big part of it has been my voice, because there are a lot of hugely talented singer songwriters but what sets them apart is the voice, and I know mine is my power tool. I think the right people were listening to land me a support for Newton, it literally just came out of nowhere, and thank God for that.

I can't offer an explanation as to how I got where I am, because I really don't know. I don't believe in luck, because you make your own depending on what you've done to get you there. I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason, and when a door shuts another opens.

It feels like a natural progression of events for me, this is what I've always wanted from an early age.


DD: What's the response been like so far? And, how have the live shows gone down?

AH: I've had a pretty good response from everyone; from what I've gathered there's a bit of a hum going about me, but I try not to dwell on it too much. I've had a couple of negative reviews about my stuff being a little...slow tempo, should we say, but that's just preference. I do take it on board. As for the live shows, they've been great. I mean, over all I prefer being live... I think I make my biggest impression.


DD: Both musically and lyrically, who/what do you cite as your main influences?

AH: I could go on forever. Eva Cassidy, B.B King, Johnny Cash, Etta James, Chuck Berry. My Mum used to play Sting, Eva, Nina Simone and Jim Croche, and my Dad would have Chuck and Eric Clapton going. There's a definite correlation between my deepest, earliest inspirations and my music now, it just took me a while to go back to it. Musically, I love what Bon Iver does, as well as new artists like Rae Morris, Daughter and Jessie Ware. Oh, and Fink. I love Fink. I love John Mayer, Willy Mason, Ben Howard (his new stuff is incredible), Mumford and Sons, Feist and Lianne La Havas. I love Janelle Monae's lyrics and her story telling, she's so talented and vocally so diverse. So much music to draw from.


DD: I would second all of the above! Great taste! Blending your trusty acoustic guitar with beautifully crafted, emotive lyrics, when was it you started singing/playing?

AH: It wasn't until I left University that I really started writing and playing properly. I started to really drift from all the covers I used to do when I was a gigging teenager in that following year, and focus on my own material. I've sang from about twelve, or thirteen. I did a lot of charity and corporate gigs and things for family and friends before I had the courage to play with the guitar properly.

I would never think my songs are beautifully crafted! Only because they come from me quite spontaneously and there isn't a craft so much as a direct outlet of emotion. If I try too hard, it just doesn't work for me. I have to be able to connect to what I'm playing and if I don't, I don't ever bring it out live, even if there's people who hear it who think it's good.

I don't want to always be the lone wolf onstage with my guitar, I've always wanted to play with a band. I get a different buzz, and the songs you hear are intended to be massive, not melancholy.


DD: What's been your most memorable gig to date?

AH: When I supported Newton Faulkner in Newcastle at the Tyne Theatre, it felt like a homecoming of sorts. I used to perform on that stage all the time with my old stage school, and I was finally on there doing my thing, not someone elses. When I walked out onstage everyone cheered and I hadn't even done anything yet. It was a different calibre of gig altogether. The set went well, the sound was awesome and I got a hugely amazing response. In the break I went through to the bar to get a packet of crisps and so many people came up to me, asked for autographs and photos, and I was just, overwhelmed. It was all so friendly and positive, and Newton is such a great guy as well. In fact, each of the four supports I did for him were memorable in their own way. They were amazing. I had listened to him when I was a teenager and his music meant so much to me then, so knowing I was supporting him, and he was listening backstage, was just...mind-blowing.
It was a homecoming, like that's where I was supposed to be.


DD: How does it feel to have such great support from the likes of Jameela Jamil, BBC Introducing?

AH: A bit weird, actually. When I saw Jameela's tweet I was watching TV with the family, and I told them, and I was just like, 'What is happening to my actual life?!'
Nick Roberts at BBC Introducing Newcastle has been great, he's always keen to have me on and support and play my music, which is wonderful.


DD: You seem to have great support from the fine folk at Communion as well, are you looking forward to playing March Communion presents?

AH: I'm really excited to play! I'm also pretty nervous. Daughter, DJing? What do I even do with that?!

I was asked last year but I didn't want to rush down to London, especially when I didn't have anything released. I didn't think I was ready. I've been very patient with my music, letting it take its natural course. I didn't want to run down and regret opening myself up to attention down there before I was sure of it. I took a couple of months off to write and work on my stuff, try to create a new solo performance element. I don't think I'll ever be 100% sure of my music, but if I'm not ready now I'll never be! Maz (at Communion) has been so friendly and supportive. I missed one of his calls once because I was listening to Skrillex, and he thought that was cool, you know? For a label to be so down to earth and cool like that is great; he tells me they want to help as much as they can, and that's so lovely. That's what they're all about though, helping and supporting artists, and getting them on a platform. I'm just grateful to be one of those artists.


DD: I know right, Daughter… DJing, Oh my! And lastly, any news with regards to the release of an EP?

There's nothing in the planning yet, but if there's anything released, we're hoping for a single sometime soon...

That's all I can say for now ;)

Many thanks Amy and good luck with everything! See you at Communion, who’s joining me!?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Daisy Digital | TNB